Teen Injured By Synthetic Marijuana Dies After Transplant

From WTAE.com (Pittsburgh):

A 13-year-old boy who ended up in the hospital after smoking a synthetic form of marijuana has died, a month after receiving a double-lung transplant.

Brandon Rice injured his lungs in August after smoking a substance known as K2.

Shortly after smoking the drug, the teen developed nausea, a full body rash, headaches and high fever. His father said the substance caused a chemical burn in his son’s lungs.

The teen received a double-lung transplant on Sept. 28. His aunt said his prognosis was so good that the family had begun sending out emails to help raise funds for transplants.

But less than 15 minutes after they sent the e-mails, Brandon Rice passed away.

Rice’s family said an infection from the transplant likely took his life.

Rice's parents said they want other teens to know just how dangerous synthetic drugs can be.

Posted: 10/31/2011 10:31:00 AM

Tags: , , , ,

Comments